Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Viva La Leche!

{pregs week 17}

If it's even possible, the inundation of preggo-related emails has increased in recent days. Just watched a video about a leopard mothering a baby monkey and a dog nursing 5 kittens. Not so certain I have that "motherly instinct" at this point. Definitely not to that extent (please Lord let me possess some amount of natural mothering ability that I don't know about..). I mean that stuff rivals Selma Hayek pulling out an udder for a starving orphan child. I'm secretly glad I'll probably not be placed in that situation, because my reaction might not be as altruistic. At least not without coercion.

Speaking of.. I am not even sure where I stand on the whole nursing thing. It worries me. 

First of all, I hear it's kind of difficult. And now, I've just discovered that I myself did so until... 15 months. I feel this is unusual. I had teeth and could walk. I could ask/gesture for the milk. I just liked it, did not like formula, and had an aversion to bottles. But La Leche was at its peak in the early 80s, and at the time, it really wasn't so unusual. Apologies to my poor mom that I was too flipping picky even at that young an age to give up the b. milk in a more timely fashion.

I'm currently thinking that at the point where there's a possibility my child can bite me, I will attempt to stop. Though if this kind of thing is hereditary, it may be tougher than I think. I'm sure some people don't find it strange at all. And La Leche League would probably scold me for even considering weaning before the baby dictates. But in the immortal words of Heidi at our girls' night discussion of all things breastfeeding, "La Leche can suck it." 



P.S. addendum: On second thought, if the whole nursing till 15 months thing contributed to my current awesomeness, it could make my child equally as awesome..  I shall need to do extensive research on this before any final decisions are made..

No comments:

Post a Comment